We are proud to be an AMI Recognized School – one of only eight such schools in Ontario and THE ONLY ONE in Aurora, serving Newmarket, Richmond Hill, King City and Stouffville areas! The AMI Recognition is is the highest accreditation granted by the Association Montessori Internationale (AMI) for schools practicing authentic Montessori methodology as established by Dr. Maria Montessori. It validates our commitment to Montessori education, as well as confirms that our school meets all the AMI criteria for quality Montessori environments that support the full development of a child.
The Association Montessori Internationale (AMI) was founded by Dr. Maria Montessori and her son Mario Montessori in 1929, in order to protect the integrity of her life’s work. The AMI continues to promote Dr. Maria Montessori’s work around the world.
In Canada, AMI is governed by Association Montessori Internationale (Canada).
Introduced originally by Dr. Maria Montessori over hundred years ago, the Montessori method complements children’s own ability to learn through sensorial exploration and self-discovery.
Dr. Montessori wanted her work to benefit the children around the world and she did not think to protect her work or trademark her name at that time. Since the name Montessori is not protected by trademark, sadly today, many schools simply use the term Montessori to mean an educational institution for young children even when they do not follow the Montessori method. This makes it difficult and confusing for parents to identify schools that provide quality, authentic Montessori education for children.
At the request of parents and Montessori schools, the AMI Certificate of Recognition and AMI Montessori Quality Assurance are two programs initiated and administered by AMI to help identify schools that provide quality Montessori environments and are committed to the principles of the Association Montessori Internationale. In Canada, these programs are administered by Association Montessori Internationale (Canada).
An AMI Recognized School is the highest accreditation granted by the Association Montessori Internationale (AMI) for schools practicing authentic Montessori methodology and principles as established by Dr. Maria Montessori. The AMI Recognition program has been offered in Canada since the 1980’s and in the United States since 1973. A school that is accredited by AMI is identified as An AMI Recognized School.
Since 1980, only 6 Montessori schools have received this highest standard of accreditation from AMI in Canada and Church Street Montessori is proud to be the ONLY AMI Recognized Montessori School serving the York Region – Aurora, Newmarket, King City, Richmond Hill and Stouffville areas.
- Each classroom shall meet the Essential Characteristics of AMI Environments that support full development of the human being:
- Contain a full set of recognized Montessori materials with no superfluous materials added.
- Guided by a directress holding an AMI diploma for that age group (3-6 years for Casa).
- Minimum number of non-teaching assistants as allowed by government regulations.
- Children of mixed ages (3 to 6 years for Casa)
- Enrollment numbers per class not intentionally less than 28 children (except when establishing a new class or limited by government regulations)
- Strict adherence to uninterrupted 3-hour morning work-cycle (5 days per week)
- Minimum 2-hour afternoon work-cycle each day for the Extended Day children
- Commitment to ongoing staff development through attendance at AMI workshops, conferences and refresher courses
- Accreditation review and consultation by an AMI consultant every three years
For more information, please visit the AMI Canada website.